Coconut Cream Pie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl stir together flour, the 3/4 cup flaked coconut, powdered sugar, and lime peel. Add butter, stirring to combine. (Mixture will be crumbly; keep stirring until it comes together.) Press evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until crust is light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large saucepan stir together granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk and cream of coconut. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut extract and vanilla. Pour warm mixture over crust.
- Bake about 20 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars. Garnish with whipped cream and coconut curls.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for cream of coconut among the drink mixers in liquor stores.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Cream Pie Bars)
- Per serving:
- 197 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 57 mg chol.,
- 92 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet