Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Coconut Cream Banana-Topped Pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in half-and-half and 1/2 cup cream of coconut. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla paste until butter is melted. Stir in flaked coconut. Transfer filling to the prepared pastry shell. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 6 hours or until filling is set and thoroughly chilled.
- In a small mixing bowl beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); set aside. In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons cream of coconut. Fold in whipped cream. Spread cream cheese mixture over filling in pastry shell. If desired, cover and chill for up to 12 hours.
- Before serving, cut bananas as desired into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces. Arrange banana pieces on top of pie. For glaze, in a small bowl combine 1/4 cup cream of coconut and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spoon glaze over banana pieces. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Cream Banana-Topped Pie)
- Per serving:
- 794 kcal cal.,
- 53 g fat
- (35 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 170 mg chol.,
- 310 mg sodium,
- 76 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 43 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet