- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 5 cups sliced, peeled apples, pears, peaches, or apricots; or frozen unsweetened peach slices
- 2 - 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or coconut
- Vanilla ice cream or light cream (optional)
1. For filling, thaw fruit, if frozen. Do not drain. Place fruit in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish. Stir in the granulated sugar.
2. For topping, in a mixing bowl combine oats; brown sugar; flour; and nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts or coconut. Sprinkle topping over filling.
3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. If desired, serve warm with ice cream or light cream.
- Prepare filling as above, making sure you use a microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave filling, covered with vented plastic wrap, on 100% power (high) for 4 to 7 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring twice. (Additional cooking time may be needed if using thawed fruit.) Prepare topping. Sprinkle over filling. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until topping is heated, giving the dish a half-turn once. Makes 6 servings.
- Make a double batch of the crunchy oatmeal topping mixture and store the extra in a freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze it for up to 1 month.
- Prepare as in recipe on page 2, except for filling, increase granulated sugar to 1/4 cup and combine with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Toss with 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries.
- Prepare as in recipe, except for filling, increase granulated sugar to 1/2 cup and combine with 3 increase granulated sugar to 1/2 cup and combine with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Toss the sugar-flour mixture with 5 cups fresh or frozen* unsweetened pitted tart red cherries.
- Prepare as in recipe, except for filling, increase granulated sugar to 3/4 cup and combine with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Toss with 5 cups fresh or frozen* unsweetened sliced rhubarb. *Note: If fruit is frozen, thaw but do not drain.
- 275 cal., 12 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 83 mg sodium, 43 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily values: 7% vit. A, 7% vit. C, 2% calcium, 7% iron.