- Place the butter and shortening in a small bowl, give a quick stir, cover and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the flours, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Add the butter mixture and use your fingers to rub the mixture into the flour until coarse and pebbly.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1/2 cup cream, the egg yolk, and vanilla bean paste. Add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until combined. Gently knead the dough until it is smooth, about 1 minute (the dough should hold its shape without falling apart). Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough until 1-inch thick. Use a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to cut 6 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and 1 tablespoon cream. Brush over tops of dough rounds and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl stir together the strawberries, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice; set aside.
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- In a large chilled bowl beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Serve shortcakes with Sweetened Whipped Cream and strawberry mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool completely and gently split with a serrated knife or the tines of a fork.
Test Kitchen Tip
Why freeze? Freezing the butter and shortening ensures a crumbly cake. If the butter comes to room temperature, you'll get a flat, textureless dough.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Shortcakes)
- Per serving:
- 757 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 164 mg chol. ,
- 507 mg sodium ,
- 75 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 33 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.
Jennifer Brush 627 Days Ago
This was simply excellent. definitely my new go to recipe for strawberry shortcakes.
Heather Bradshaw 838 Days Ago
Great Recipe!I just wanted to let you know that I linked up to your shortcaje recipe on my blog @ http://thesugarribbon.com/blog/sweet-strawberry-treats-for-the-holidays/. I would love if you'd be willing tweet @the_SUGARRIBBON or otherwise share about the article.Thank you for your time.XOXO Heather@ www.thesugarribbon.com/blog