Classic Meat Loaf with Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bread crumbs, 1/3 cup of the ketchup, the eggs, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well. Pat mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 70 to 75 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F,* spooning the remaining 1/3 cup ketchup over meat loaf after 1 hour of baking.
- Let meat loaf stand for 10 minutes. Carefully tip the pan over a heatproof bowl; pour off fat. Cut into eight slices while still in the pan. Serve using a spatula.
From the Test Kitchen
The internal color of a meat loaf is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef, veal, lamb, or pork loaf cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meat loaf, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the loaf.
Spanish Meat Loaf:
Prepare Clasic Meat Loaf as directed, except add 1 cup chopped cooked potato; 4 strips bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled; and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika to the meat mixture. Serve with Mushroom-Thyme Sauce. Sprinkle an additional 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves on top of meat loaf.
In a medium skillet heat 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms and 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion; cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until light brown. Add 1/4 cup dry white wine; cook and stir until reduced by about half. Add 1 cup chicken broth; simmer about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
Mini Meat Loaves:
In a medium skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add 2 cups chopped fresh fennel; cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Set aside. Prepare Classic Meat Loaf as directed, except add cooked fennel and 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cooked sweet potato (1 large) to meat mixture. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide meat mixture among prepared muffin cups; brush tops of meat loaves with the remaining 1/3 cup ketchup. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.* If desired, garnish finished meat loaves with fennel fronds.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Meat Loaf with Homemade Tomato Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 248 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 115 mg chol. ,
- 728 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.