- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Place 3 of the cooked lasagna noodles in a single layer on a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap; top with another sheet of plastic wrap and 3 more of the lasagna noodles. Repeat to layer all of the lasagna noodles; set aside.
- For meat sauce, in a large skillet cook beef, sausage, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine egg, ricotta cheese, and the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish (this keeps the noodles from sticking to the baking dish). Arrange three of the cooked noodles lengthwise over sauce in dish. Spread with one-fourth of the filling.** Spoon one-fourth of the Bechamel Sauce over the filling. Top with one-fourth of the remaining meat sauce and one-fourth of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers three more times, starting with noodles and ending with mozzarella cheese (make sure the top layer of noodles is evenly covered with sauce). If desired, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot in the center (160 degrees F). Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with basil.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Classic Lasagna as directed in Steps 1 and 2, except omit beef and sausage. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered, and 1 yellow or red sweet pepper, cut into strips, with the onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini and/or yellow summer squash; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Continue as directed in Steps 3 through 5.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 315 calories, 17 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 17% Vitamin A, 62% Vitamin C, 454 mg sodium, 29% calcium, 11% iron
Prepare Classic Lasagna as directed through Step 4. Cover lasagna with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Uncover lasagna. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until hot in the center (160 degrees F).
If you prefer, substitute 8 ounces lean ground beef for the sausage.
For mess-free assembly, spoon the filling into a resealable plastic bag. Snip off one corner of the bag; squeeze the bag to pipe the filling over the noodles in the baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan cook garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour until combined. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Do not let brown. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 86 mg chol.,
- 567 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet