- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 400°
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
cups frozen mixed vegetables*
10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup
cup frozen small whole onions
cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
teaspoons poultry seasoning
teaspoon garlic salt
teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine chicken, mixed vegetables, soup, onions, half-and-half, poultry seasoning, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Cover chicken mixture and keep warm.
- Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a 14x10-inch rectangle. If desired, use a 1-inch fluted round cookie cutter to make cutouts in pastry; reserve cutouts. Transfer hot chicken mixture to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Wrap pastry rectangle around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry on top of chicken mixture. Fold under extra pastry even with the edges of baking dish. Using a fork, press pastry along edges of dish to seal. In a small bowl combine egg and the water. Brush top of pastry lightly with egg mixture. If desired, arrange the reserved cutouts on pastry; brush lightly with egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden.
From the Test Kitchen
Chop any large vegetable pieces into a uniform size.
For a lighter recipe, use reduced-fat versions of the soup, cream cheese, and milk.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
cup butter, cut up, or shortening
cup ice water
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Chicken Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 728 kcal cal.,
- 41 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 11 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 146 mg chol.,
- 925 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet