Citrus Tannenbaum Sheet Cake
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan;** set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, citrus peel, and citrus juice, beating until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. If desired, remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost cake with Butter Frosting. Using Candied Citrus Slices, arrange clementine and lemon slices in a tree shape on top of cake, decorating with kumquat slices. If desired, sprinkle with pistachios to make a trunk and garland.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
If you like, you can bake the cake in a 9x2-inch round cake pan for about 45 minutes.
Candied Citrus Slices
- Cut clementines, lemon, and, if desired, kumquats into 1/8-inch slices (if you have trouble cutting kumquats into slices, instead cut them in half). Remove any seeds; set slices aside. In a large skillet or medium saucepan combine sugar and the water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture begins to simmer and is clear. Reduce heat to medium. Add citrus slices; simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until slices are softened, turning occasionally. Remove from heat; cool. Drain slices on a wire rack; if necessary, pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, the vanilla, and, if desired, lemon peel. Gradually beat in remaining sugar. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
Nutrition Facts (Citrus Tannenbaum Sheet Cake)
- Per serving:
- 296 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 153 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 45 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet