Christmas Sugar Cookie Cutouts
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface roll half the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake ifor 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, frost with Powdered Sugar Icing. Let stand until set.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened dark Dutch-process cocoa powder for 1/3 cup of the flour.
Nutrition Analysis: Same as above, except: 72 calories, 9 g carbohydrate
Prepare as directed, except beat in 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon or orange peel with the egg and substitute lemon or orange juice for the milk.
Nutrition analysis: Same as above, except: 1% Vitamin A, 58 mg sodium
Prepare as directed, except add 1/3 cup finely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts with the flour.
Nutrition analysis: Same as above, except: 81 calories
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 teaspoon peppermint extract for the vanilla and add 1/4 cup finely crushed striped round peppermint candies with the flour.
Nutrition Analysis: 79 calories, 11 g carbohydrate, 5 g total sugar
Prepare as directed, except add 1 to 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice with the sugar. If desired, substitute eggnog for the milk.
Nutrition analysis: Same as above.
Layer undecorated cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk to make smooth and of drizzling consistency. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing reaches a stiff piping consistency. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for meringue powder in the cake decorating aisle of a hobby or crafts store.
Nutrition Facts (Christmas Sugar Cookie Cutouts)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 59 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet