- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 42 peppermint-swirl kisses or milk chocolate kisses (optional)
- 1 recipeMinty Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
1. In a large bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and peppermint extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm.
3. If desired, immediately press a candy kiss into the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool. If desired, drizzle with Minty Chocolate Drizzle.
- For more healthful cookies, use only 1 cup all-purpose flour and add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl beat 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate star or kiss into the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes about 54 cookies.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 96 calories, 2 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 27 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 2% iron
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract or mint extract
1. In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate, shortening, and peppermint extract. Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- cal. (kcal) 97,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 11,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 11,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 1,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 8,
- sodium (mg) 45,
- Potassium (mg) 57,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Mark as Free Exchange () 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet