Cocoa powder, fat-free milk, fewer egg yolks, and sugar-free hot fudge topping make this recipe a luscious, yet heart-smart dessert.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 25 mins 350°F
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat four 4- to 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and the espresso powder; sprinkle on the side and bottom of each ramekin. Place ramekins in a shallow baking pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Slightly beat egg yolk. Slowly add chocolate mixture to egg yolk, stirring constantly.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Spoon into prepared ramekins.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Meanwhile, divide fudge topping among four shallow dessert bowls. Run a thin knife around edges and unmold each souffle into one of the prepared shallow bowls. Serve immediately with powdered sugar and walnuts.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha Souffles)
- Per serving:
- 241 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 53 mg chol.,
- 124 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet