- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan combine the 3/4 cup chocolate pieces and whipping cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove pan from heat. Cool, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill about 45 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan cook and stir the 1 cup chocolate pieces and the butter over low heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool.
- Form chilled filling into 6 equal-size balls; set aside. Lightly grease and flour six 3/4-cup souffle dishes or six 6-ounce custard cups. Place dishes or cups in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until lemon-colored. Beat in cooled chocolate-butter mixture on medium speed. Sift flour and cocoa powder over mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into dishes. Place 1 ball of filling into each dish. Spoon remaining batter into dishes.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 13 minutes or until cakes feel firm at edges. Cool in dishes 2 to 3 minutes. Using a knife, loosen cakes from sides of dishes. Invert onto dessert plates. If desired, dust with powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through step 4. Cover and chill until ready to bake or up to 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Lava Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 621 kcal cal.,
- 47 g fat
- (27 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 16 g monounsatured fat),
- 285 mg chol.,
- 291 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet