Greek Chocolate Nut Cake
- Beat egg yolks and the 1/2 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and light. Beat in cooled chocolate and vanilla. By hand, stir in walnuts, bread crumbs, and cinnamon.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten (chocolate mixture is very thick); fold in remaining egg whites. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil. Spread mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until top is dry and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Bring water and 1/4 cup sugar to boiling in saucepan; stir to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; add Metaxa or brandy. Brush sugar syrup evenly over hot cake. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, if desired. Cool completely. To serve, cut cake into 32 diamond shapes; place two diamonds on each serving plate. Garnish with chocolate-dipped apricot slices, if desired. Makes 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Greek Chocolate Nut Cake)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 80 mg chol.,
- 38 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet