German Chocolate Cupcakes
For a quick and easy shortcut, start with bakery cupcakes or prepare from a cake mix. Top each cupcake with a circle of frosty ice cream and the embellishments of your choice.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cool: 1 hr
- Freeze: 4 hrs or overnight
German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Prepare Chocolate-Pecan Ice Cream "Frosting." Cover and freeze. Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine chocolate and water. Cook and stir over low heat until melted; cool about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat on low speed until combined then beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Beat in chocolate mixture. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spoon batter into bake cups, filling cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly.
- Just before serving, heat caramel ice cream topping until warm. Remove wrappers from cupcakes; place cupcakes on plates or in shallow bowls. Top each cupcake with one round of Chocolate-Pecan Ice Cream "Frosting." Top with toasted coconut and drizzle with warm caramel ice cream topping. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
With vegetable peeler, shave strips of coconut from a peeled, halved coconut. Place in a shallow baking pan. Toast in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. You may also use purchased raw chip coconut, but only toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
Chocolate-Pecan Ice Cream
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside. Slice chocolate ice cream into sheets about 2 inches thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds just larger than the cupcakes from frozen ice cream. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Press toasted pecan pieces into ice cream letting pecans protrude from the ice cream. Cover and freeze 4 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts (German Chocolate Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 411 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 80 mg chol.,
- 261 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet