Dark Chocolate Dipped Apples
medium apples such as Braeburn, Fuji, or Gala
cup snipped dried cranberries
ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped,
ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground anise seed (optional)
ounces white chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Wash and dry apples. Remove stems. Insert one wooden stick into the stem end of each apple. Set aside.* Place nuts and cranberries in a deep bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy small saucepan, melt bittersweet chocolate, semisweet chocolate, cinnamon, and, if desired, anise seed over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Dip the bottom half of each apple into the chocolate, using a spoon to spread the mixture evenly over apple, if necessary. Allow excess chocolate mixture to drip off. Immediately dip apples into almonds and dried cranberries. Place apples, nut side down, on waxed paper for 30 minutes or until set. Discard any remaining chocolate mixture.
- If desired, in a heavy small saucepan melt white chocolate over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Transfer melted chocolate to a small plastic bag. Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Hold apples by sticks and drizzle white chocolate over the coated portion of apples. Return apples to waxed paper and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, or until white chocolate is set.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, chill apples in the refrigerator because chocolate clings better to cold apples.
Nutrition Facts(Dark Chocolate Dipped Apples)
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 30 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet