Chocolate Pots de Creme
- In a heavy small saucepan combine the half-and-half or light cream, chocolate, and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until mixture reaches a full boil and thickens.
- Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture into 4 or 6 pots de creme cups or small dessert dishes. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. If desired, top with Caramelized Shards.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings. (Nutrition facts are without shards.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil; coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle slivered almonds onto prepared foil. Bake in preheated oven 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Meanwhile, place sugar in a heavy 10-inch skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. When sugar begins to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook for 2 minutes more or until sugar is melted and lightly golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Remove pan from heat. Stir in hot water. Immediately pour over nuts on hot baking sheet. Let cool for 1 minute. Using 2 forks, gently pull caramel as thinly as possible, lifting up slightly as you pull. Let cool thoroughly on foil. Break into pieces; store tightly covered up to 3 days.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare dessert cups up to a day ahead; cover and chill. Prepare Caramelized Shards up to 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Pots de Creme)
- Per serving:
- 276 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 182 mg chol.,
- 31 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet