Chocolate lovers will dream of these pillows once they taste the chocolate stuffed crisp-fried wonton wrappers. A drizzle of tart cherry sauce makes this dessert even more decadent.
- Makes: 2 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 min each
cup port or red zinfandel*
cup dried tart cherries
cups canola oil or cooking oil
3 ounce bar bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 6 pieces
Vanilla ice cream
Grated bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- For sauce, in a small saucepan heat port to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 1 minute. Add cherries; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees F. While oil heats, lightly brush edges of one wonton wrapper with some of the beaten egg. Place 1 piece of chocolate in center atop wonton wrapper. Place another wonton wrapper atop. Press edges to seal.
- Cook filled wontons, one at a time, in hot oil for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning frequently to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Cool wontons slightly. Sprinkle wontons evenly with sugar.
- Serve wontons with sauce and ice cream. Sprinkle ice cream with grated chocolate and serve with two spoons. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test kitchen tip:
If using zinfandel, increase sugar in sauce to 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Pillows)
- 218 kcal cal.;
- 9 g Fat, total;
- 42 mg chol.;
- 5 g sat. fat;
- 27 g carb.;
- 2 g fiber;
- 4 g pro.;
- 20 mg calcium;
- 2 mg iron;
- 243 IU vit. A;
- 2 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet