cup port or red zinfandel*
cup dried tart cherries
cups canola oil or cooking oil
3 ounce bar bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 6 pieces
Vanilla ice cream
Grated bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- For sauce, in a small saucepan heat port to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 1 minute. Add cherries; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees F. While oil heats, lightly brush edges of one wonton wrapper with some of the beaten egg. Place 1 piece of chocolate in center atop wonton wrapper. Place another wonton wrapper atop. Press edges to seal.
- Cook filled wontons, one at a time, in hot oil for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning frequently to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Cool wontons slightly. Sprinkle wontons evenly with sugar.
- Serve wontons with sauce and ice cream. Sprinkle ice cream with grated chocolate and serve with two spoons. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test kitchen tip:
If using zinfandel, increase sugar in sauce to 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate Pillows)
- Per serving:
- 218 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 42 mg chol.,
- 2 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet