Chocolate-Pear Spice Cake
teaspoons ground cinnamon
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
teaspoon ground cloves
cups unsweetened applesauce
tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
small Bosc pear, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
ounces bittersweet and/or milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
cup coarsely chopped walnuts, hazelnuts (filberts), or pecans
Whipped cream (optional)
Pear Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and molasses with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the applesauce, starting and ending with flour mixture. Stir in orange peel.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange pear slices in a layer on top of the batter. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate and nuts. Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan. Let stand about 45 minutes to serve warm or cool completely. If desired, serve with whipped cream and Pear Chips. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare, bake, and cool cake. Wrap tightly with foil and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen cake and serve at room temperature.
small cored Bosc pear
- Using a mandoline, very thinly slice a cored small Bosc pear. Place pear slices on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 300 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning once. Store in an airtight container and chill for up to 2 days.