Whether served for breakfast or dessert, piping chocolate-hazelnut spread, or Nutella, into these donuts result in a dreamy treat. They are equally special filled with jam.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and 12 cup warm water until yeast is dissolved. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large food processor, combine flour, milk, egg, egg yolk, salt, yeast mixture, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover and process until combined. Add butter; cover and process until combined (dough will be sticky).*
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl; cover and chill in refrigerator overnight (8 to 12 hours).
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough to 12-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch round cutter, cut dough. Reroll as necessary. Arrange dough rounds on a baking sheet dusted with all-purpose flour. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until nearly double in size.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 365 degrees F. In a bowl, place 1/3 cup sugar; set aside. Place chocolate-hazelnut spread in a decorating bag fitted with a large round tip; set aside.
- Fry doughnuts, three at a time, in deep hot oil about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove doughnuts using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. While warm, use tongs to dip each doughnut in sugar to coat. Holding each doughnut (use tongs if necessary), use a dowel, chopstick, or prong of an instant-read thermometer to poke a hole in one side of doughnut. Pipe chocolate-hazelnut spread through opening. Repeat on opposite side of doughnut. Serve warm. Makes about 16 doughnuts.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
If you dont have a food processor, in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, milk, egg, egg yolk, salt, yeast mixture, and 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Add butter and beat until combined
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Filled Doughnuts)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg chol.,
- 72 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet