- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 recipe Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie; set aside.
2. For filling, in a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornmeal, flour, and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into sugar mixture until smooth. Stir in pecans.
3. Pour filling into pastry-lined pie plate. Bake about 1 hour or until filling is set and crust is golden. If crust begins to brown too fast, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and cover edge of crust with foil. Cool pie on a wire rack. (Filling will fall slightly during cooling.) Chill within 2 hours. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Cover and chill cooled pie for up to 24 hours.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 - 4 tablespoons cold water
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Sprinkle additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture until all of the dough is moistened. Form the dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired.