Chocolate Angel Pie
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue. Place yolks in a small bowl; set aside.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in half-and-half and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks. Add egg yolk mixture to hot mixture in saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and 1-1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla. Cover and keep filling warm.
- For meringue, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed for five minutes more or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks (tips stand straight) and sugar dissolves.
- Pour warm filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue over warm filling; seal to edge. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Angel Pie)
- Per serving:
- 499 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 137 mg chol.,
- 152 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet