A chewy oat base, creamy filling, and dense chocolate topper add up to the ultimate bar cookie. For a satiny finish, spread the fudge frosting on with a warm metal spatula.
- Makes: 32 servings
- Yields: Makes 32 brownies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 10 mins 325°F plus 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine oats, the 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in the 6 tablespoons melted butter. Pat into prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for cheesecake layer. In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar; spoon in small dollops over the partially baked layer. Sprinkle with chopped nougat bars.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup melted butter, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Beat in egg. In a small bowl, stir together the 2/3 cup flour, the baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to chocolate mixture, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Carefully spoon over cheesecake layer. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Spread with chocolate fudge frosting. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Bake as directed; do not cut into bars. Cover pan; chill for up to 2 days.
Test Kitchen Tip:
For a satiny finish, spread the fudge frosting on with a warm metal spatula.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesecake Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 162 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 113 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet