- Combine semisweet chocolate, butter, and the 3 tablespoons whipping cream in a heavy, medium saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the egg yolk, Return entire mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in champagne or 3 tablespoons whipping cream. Transfer truffle mixture to a medium mixing bowl; chill about 1 hour or until mixture is completely cool and smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Beat cooled truffle mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until color lightens and mixture is slightly fluffy. Chill about 30 minutes more or until mixture holds its shape. Scrape a small ice cream scoop, melon baller, or spoon across the surface of the cold truffle mixture, forming 1-inch balls. Place balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Refrigerate until very firm.
- Gently roll balls in unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted powdered sugar, or small white decorative candies until evenly coated, reshaping as necessary. If desired, drizzle with melted white chocolate. Serve in decorative foil candy cups, if desired. Makes 25 to 30 truffles.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare truffles as directed and store tightly covered in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
To Present This As a Gift:
1. You will need a glue stick; heart-shape paper doily, slightly larger than the cookie cutter; bright red art paper; decorative-edge scissors; large, red, heart-shape cookie cutter; tape; and waxed paper.
2. Carefully apply small dabs of glue to the back side of the doily. Press the doily onto the red paper, leaving at least 1/2 inch around edges. Let glue dry. Using the doily shape as a guide, trim the red paper 1/4 inch beyond the doily using decorative-edge scissors. Turn the paper with the doily side up. Place the cookie cutter in the center of the doily. Tape the cookie cutter to the doily on the inside of the cutter. Line bottom of holder with waxed paper. Arrange truffles inside the cookie cutter.
Also Try This:
Add a Valentine's message on the edge of the cookie cutter. Use a gold or silver marking pen to write your sentiments.
Nutrition Facts (Champagne Truffles)
- Per serving:
- 62 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 16 mg chol.,
- 20 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet