Bittersweet Chocolate Flan
A touch of cinnamon adds a little spice to this chocolate dessert. Top it with pomegranate seeds for a pretty pop of color.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 10 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 325°F
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat 3/4 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally for even melting. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes more or until all sugar is melted and golden brown, stirring with a wooden spoon. Immediately pour melted sugar into a 9-inch round cake pan*; tilt to coat the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan heat and stir chocolate over low heat until melted. Gradually whisk in milk; heat and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl lightly beat eggs. Whisk the warm chocolate mixture, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and the cinnamon into eggs. Pour chocolate mixture into cake pan. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Place roasting pan on rack in oven. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan around cake pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully remove cake pan from water. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- To unmold, run a sharp knife around edges of flan in pan. Invert a serving plate over pan; turn pan and plate over together. Remove pan. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds. Makes 12 servings.
Be sure to use a pan that is 2 inches deep. A pan with that is 1-1/2 inches deep will not hold all of the egg mixture.
Briefly warm the cake pan in the oven so the caramel mixture spreads over the bottom more easily.
- Per serving:
- 282 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 148 mg chol.,
- 80 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet