Bittersweet Chocolate Flan
ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat 3/4 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally for even melting. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes more or until all sugar is melted and golden brown, stirring with a wooden spoon. Immediately pour melted sugar into a 9-inch round cake pan*; tilt to coat the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan heat and stir chocolate over low heat until melted. Gradually whisk in milk; heat and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl lightly beat eggs. Whisk the warm chocolate mixture, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and the cinnamon into eggs. Pour chocolate mixture into cake pan. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Place roasting pan on rack in oven. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan around cake pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully remove cake pan from water. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- To unmold, run a sharp knife around edges of flan in pan. Invert a serving plate over pan; turn pan and plate over together. Remove pan. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Note:
Be sure to use a pan that is 2 inches deep. A pan with that is 1-1/2 inches deep will not hold all of the egg mixture.
Briefly warm the cake pan in the oven so the caramel mixture spreads over the bottom more easily.
Nutrition Facts(Bittersweet Chocolate Flan)
- Per serving:
- 282 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 148 mg chol.,
- 80 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet