Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl combine vegetable oil spread and brown sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Using a rounded measuring teaspoon (about 2 level teaspoons), spoon batter onto prepared cookie sheets leaving 1 inch between rounds. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until tops are set. Cool cookies 1 minute on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Filling and spread on the flat sides of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, flat sides down. If desired, sprinkle tops with powdered sugar. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2/3 cup brown sugar. Increase buttermilk to 2/3 cup.
Per Serving Chocolate or Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Substitute: Same as above, except 75 cal., 66 mg sodium, 10 g carb. (3 g sugars). Exchanges: 0.5 carb. Carb choices: 0.5.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 1/2 cup sour milk, pour 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar into a 1-cup glass measure. Add enough fat-free milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. (For 2/3 cup sour milk, use 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar and enough fat-free milk to make 2/3 cup total liquid.) Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies:
Prepare as directed, except add one 1-ounce bottle red food coloring with the egg and vanilla in Step 2..
- In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup of the whipped dessert topping and 1/4 cup light sour cream. Fold in the remaining 3/4 cup whipped dessert topping. If desired, tint with several drops blue or green food coloring.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Whoopie Pies)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 1 mg chol.,
- 65 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet