Chocolate-Walnut Bread Pudding
Freshly brewed coffee is essential for this pudding's rich and decadent sauce. No fresh java at home? Swing by your local coffeehouse for a cup of their darkest brew.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Stand: 15 mins
- Slow Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins (low)
- Lightly coat the inside of a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat until very warm but not boiling. Remove from heat. Add chocolate pieces and cocoa powder (do not stir); let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth; cool slightly (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and chocolate mixture. Gently stir in bread cubes and walnuts. Transfer bread mixture to the prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for about 2-1/2 hours or until a knife inserted near center of pudding comes out clean (mixture will puff). Remove crockery liner from cooker, if possible, or turn off cooker. Cool, uncovered, for 30 minutes (pudding will fall as it cools).
- To serve, spoon warm pudding into dessert dishes. Top each serving with Coffee-Cream Sauce.
To cube and dry bread, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut 1/2-inch bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice. Cool. (Cubes continue to dry and crisp as they cool.)
- In a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add cream, coffee, and liqueur. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Drizzle sauce over bread pudding.
- Per serving:
- 360 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 95 mg chol.,
- 214 mg sodium,
- 62 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet