- In a small bowl stir together flour, the 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Divide dough into 24 portions. Roll each dough portion into a 9-inch rope. If desired, lightly roll ropes in cocoa powder. Shape each rope by crossing one end over the other to form a loop, overlapping about 2 inches from each end. Take one end of dough in each hand and twist once at the point where the dough overlaps. Carefully lift each end across loop to opposite edge of loop. Place twisted loops 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg white and the water. Brush dough with egg white mixture; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or just until firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Pretzels)
- Per serving:
- 119 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 14 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet