- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly flour and grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour, orange peel, and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla; stir until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chocolate pieces. Drop small mounds of mixture by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 18 minutes or until light brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Drizzle chocolate mixture over cooled cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Orange Macaroons)
- Per serving:
- 106 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 53 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet