Chocolate-Filled Red Velvet Cupcakes
cup milk chocolate pieces
cup whipping cream
cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter
teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
teaspoons red food coloring
teaspoon baking soda
Raspberry preserves (optional)
- For truffle filling, in a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces, cream, and 1 Tbsp. butter. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and freeze about 1 hour, until fudgelike consistency. Divide filling in 12 portions. Working quickly with hands, roll each portion in a ball. Place truffles in freezer.
- Meanwhile, let 1/4 cup butter and egg stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 (2-1/2-inch) muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- For batter, in a small bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl beat the 1/4 cup softened butter with mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat on medium until combined. Beat on medium 2 minutes more, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, food coloring, and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low after each addition just until combined. In a small bowl combine baking soda and vinegar; stir into batter.
- Divide half the batter among the prepared cups, partially filling cups. Place a frozen truffle on batter in each cup, centering truffles away from sides of cups. Spoon remaining batter into cups, covering truffles.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm, topped with raspberry preserves.
From the Test Kitchen
For perfectly ooey-gooey cupcake centers, partially fill each cupcake with batter, then place a frozen truffle in the center of the cupaway from cup sides. Spoon in remaining batter and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate-Filled Red Velvet Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 289 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 180 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 30 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet