- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four to thirty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups (see tip, page 00). In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 14 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat about 2 minutes more or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each one-half to two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
From the Test Kitchen
Devil's Food Cupcakes:
Prepare as above, except omit baking powder and increase baking soda to 1 1/4 teaspoons.Nutrition Facts per cupcake: 177 cal., 3 g protein, 27 g carb., 7 g total fat, 43 mg chol., 4 g sat. fat, 1 g fiber, 5% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 171 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 5% iron
- In a very large mixing bowl, beat butter, softened, and unsweetened cocoa powder with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 2 cups powdered sugar until well combined. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla until well combined. Gradually beat in 6 cups powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 177 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet