Chocolate Cookie Coins with Smoked Salt
- In a small bowl stir the hot water into coffee powder until dissolved; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes more. Beat in coffee mixture, vanilla, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined. Gradually add flour, beating on low speed just until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the 4 ounces finely chopped chocolate.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 10-inch roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 3 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook and stir the 4 ounces chopped chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted and smooth. Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip back into pan. Return cookies to wire rack. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Let stand until chocolate is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Cookie Coins with Smoked Salt)
- Per serving:
- 135 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 16 mg chol.,
- 152 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet