Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Makes: 36 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Yields: about 36 cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 7 mins 375°F per batch
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat oil and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg whites and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the chocolate chunks.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet; flatten slightly. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or just until edges are set and bottoms are light brown (centers will be soft but will firm up as they cool). Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Store cookies as soon as they are cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose from canned pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, mashed ripe banana, pureed silken-style tofu (fresh bean curd), or flax seed meal (if using flax seed meal, decrease flour to 2 cups and use 3 egg whites). Store cookies with a fat substitute in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
PER COOKIE WITH PUMPKIN, APPLESAUCE, BANANA, or TOFU: Same as basic recipe, except 85 cal., 2 g total fat, 16 g carb. Exchanges: 0.5 Fat.
PER COOKIE WITH FLAX SEED MEAL: Same as basic recipe, except 83 cal., 3 g total fat, 64 mg sodium, 14 g carb., 2 g pro. Exchanges: 0.5 Fat.
Choose Splenda Sugar Blend to substitute for the granulated sugar. Choose Splenda Brown Sugar Blend to substitute for the brown sugar. Follow package directions to use product amounts equivalent to 1/2 cup of each sugar.
PER COOKIE WITH SUBSTITUTES: Same as basic recipe, except 93 cal., 12 g carb., 61 mg sodium.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Chunk Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 102 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 62 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet