- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cool: 1 hr
- Bake: 1 hr 350°F
Chocolate-Cherry Bread Pudding
cup kirsch or orange juice
cups dried tart cherries or dried plums (prunes), snipped (about 8 oz.)
16 ounce loaf country Italian bread or baguette, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 11 cups)
cup butter, melted
ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
eggs, slightly beaten
cups half-and-half or light cream
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat heat kirsch or orange juice just to simmering; remove from heat. Add cherries or dried plums and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large mixing bowl toss bread with melted butter until coated. Divide bread cubes evenly between two 1 1/2-quart casseroles or place in one 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle half of the chocolate evenly over bread in casseroles or baking dish; reserve remaining half of chocolate. Spoon half of the fruit and liquid evenly over the chocolate layer; reserve remaining half of fruit and liquid. Top with remaining bread.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, half-and-half or light cream, sugar, and vanilla until combined. Slowly pour egg mixture evenly over the layers in the casseroles or baking dish. Press layers down lightly.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more for the 1 1/2-quart casseroles or 30 minutes more for the baking dish or until egg portion in center appears set. Sprinkle remaining chocolate and fruit with liquid evenly over the top. Let stand about 1 hour. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Cherry Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 506 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 137 mg chol.,
- 342 mg sodium,
- 67 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet