- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 3 to 3 1/2 hours (low)
- Cool: 30 mins
- Lightly coat a 1-quart souffle dish or casserole*** with cooking spray. Tear off an 18x12-inch piece of heavy foil; cut in half lengthwise. Fold each piece lengthwise into thirds. Crisscross the foil strips and place the dish in the center of the crisscross; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, almond extract, and salt. Whisk in the 1 cup milk. Gently stir in bread cubes, chocolate, and cherries. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Pour warm water into a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker. Using the ends of the foil strips transfer dish to cooker. Leave foil strips under dish.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Using foil strips carefully remove dish from cooker; discard foil strips. Cool, uncovered, on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for icing, in a small bowl combine powdered sugar, yogurt, and the 1 teaspoon milk. Drizzle cooled bread pudding with icing. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut whole wheat bread slices (about 3 ounces) into cubes to make 3 cups. Spread cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool.
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
Before beginning this recipe, check to make sure that the dish or casserole you plan to use fits into your slow cooker.
- Per serving:
- 189 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 1 mg chol.,
- 178 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 26 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet