Chocolate Chai Pie
- In a small saucepan heat the whipping cream until simmering. Remove from heat; add tea bags, pressing to immerse bags in cream. Cover saucepan; let stand for 30 minutes. Remove tea bags, carefully squeezing tea bags over the cream mixture to extract as much liquid as you can. Discard tea bags; set cream mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, the 1/4 cup melted butter, the granulated sugar, and vanilla. Press crumb mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl beat the 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add melted chocolate and cream mixture, beating just until combined. Cover and chill for 15 minutes. Beat for 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and ribbons form.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into cooled piecrust. Smooth surface. Cover; chill for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, let pie stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut pie into thin wedges. Top each slice with some of the Candied Orange Whipped Cream and, if desired, chopped candied orange peel. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Chai Pie)
- Per serving:
- 594 kcal cal.,
- 45 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 122 mg chol.,
- 207 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet