Softhearted Chocolate Cakes
A rich, soft center and raspberry sauce topping makes these chocolate cakes an irresistible dessert.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cool: 1 hr
- Bake: 9 mins to 10 hrs 350°F
Softhearted Chocolate Cakes
cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1/2 pound)
ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped or 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
cup all-purpose flour
Whipped cream (optional)
recipe Raspberry Sauce (see recipe below) (optional) and/or fresh raspberries
- Lightly butter eight 8-ounce ramekins or 1-cup souffle dishes; line bottoms with parchment or wax paper. Place the prepared ramekins on a shallow baking pan or on a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly. (Or, in a mixing bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Place mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and melt butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from the simmering water pot; set aside to cool slightly.)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Mix a large dollop of the beaten eggs into the butter-chocolate mixture. Gently fold until combined. Add butter-chocolate mixture to remaining beaten egg mixture and fold. After a few folds, sprinkle in sugar, flour, vanilla, and salt. Continue to fold until the mixture is combined.
- Quickly divide the batter evenly among prepared ramekins. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 9 to 10 minutes or until cakes feel firm to the touch on top edges, but still soft in the center when pressed with a fingertip. Remove from oven; set ramekins on a wire rack. Let cakes cool completely in ramekins.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. When cakes are cool, use a small metal spatula to loosen edge of cakes from side of ramekin and unmold onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. The centers of the cakes are supposed to be soft. (If not using immediately, wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.)
- When ready to serve, place cakes on a microwaveable serving plate. Heat in a microwave oven on 100 percent power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until warm. (Center of cake will slightly pop up.) Serve with whipped cream and garnish with a splash of Raspberry Sauce and/or fresh raspberries, if you like. Makes 8 servings.
10 ounce package frozen and thawed red raspberries in syrup
- In a blender container or food processor bowl, cover and blend or process one 10-ounce package frozen and thawed red raspberries in syrup until pureed. Use a fine sieve to sieve berry mixture. Cover and refrigerate the sauce till ready to use. Makes 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Softhearted Chocolate Cakes)
- 497 kcal cal.;
- 39 g Fat, total;
- 278 mg chol.;
- 34 g carb.;
- 2 g fiber;
- 7 g pro.;
- 77 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet