Pecan-Laced German Chocolate Cake
cup pecans, toasted and ground
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
4 ounce package sweet baking chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
cup strong coffee or water
recipe Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Separate eggs. Let eggs and butter stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms of three 9-inch round cake pans. Line with waxed or parchment paper; grease and flour bottoms and sides. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In medium bowl stir together flour, pecans, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. In 4-quart bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each. Beat in chocolate on low.
- In bowl combine buttermilk and coffee. Alternately add with flour mixture to butter mixture; beat well after each. With spatula fold in egg whites. Spread batter in pans.
- Bake 25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove; peel off paper. Cool on wire racks.
- Prepare Coconut-Pecan Frosting. Spread 1 cup on rounded tops of two layers. Add third layer, flat side down; spread with remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings.
7 ounce package (2-2/3 cups) coconut
cup chopped toasted pecans
- In saucepan slightly beat eggs. Stir in half-and-half, sugar, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and pecans. Cover and cool. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Pecan-Laced German Chocolate Cake)
- Per serving:
- 571 kcal cal.,
- 33 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 125 mg chol.,
- 303 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 52 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet