- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 1.3 ounce envelope whipped dessert topping mix
- 1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- Chocolate curls or 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
1. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with waxed paper; set aside.
2. Sift powdered sugar, flour, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder together 3 times. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until soft peaks form (tips stand straight). Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat sifting and folding in the remaining flour mixture three more times, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time. Spread batter in prepared pan.
3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 23 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Loosen edges. Immediately invert cake onto a large wire rack; remove pan. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly.
4. For filling, in bowl dissolve coffee granules in milk; add topping mix. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Then beat on high speed until mixture form stiff peaks (4 to 5 minutes). Fold in yogurt.
5. To assemble, trim edges from cake. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. Place one cake layer on serving platter; spread with about one-third of the filling. Repeat two more times. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until serving time. Garnish top with chocolate curls or sift cocoa powder over cake, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10,
- cal. (kcal) 211,
- Fat, total (g) 1,
- chol. (mg) 1,
- carb. (g) 46,
- pro. (g) 6,
- sodium (mg) 73,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet