- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup finely crushed vanilla wafers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Hazelnut Butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and side of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap a double layer of foil around the bottom and side of pan to form a watertight seal; set aside. For crust: In a small bowl, stir together crushed vanilla wafers and hazelnuts. Stir in the melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom of the foil-wrapped pan. Set aside.
2. Prepare Hazelnut Butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in the nut butter and chocolate-hazelnut spread.
3. In a very large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium-high speed until mixture is thick, pale, and holds a slowly dissolved ribbon when beaters are lifted. (This will take about 5 minutes in a heavy-duty mixer and about 9 minutes with a handheld mixer.) Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture; stir gently to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Pour over crust, spreading evenly.
5. Place the foil-wrapped springform pan in a roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to reach halfway up side of springform pan. Bake for 1-1/4 hours. Turn off oven; let cake stand in oven with door closed for 45 minutes.
6. Remove springform pan from water. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Using a small sharp knife, loosen edge of cake from side of pan. Remove foil. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
7. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Remove side of springform pan. If desired, sprinkle cake with cocoa powder and serve with whipped cream. Makes 12 servings.
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts (filberts)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Place toasted hazelnuts (filberts) in a food processor. Cover and process until a paste forms. Add cooking oil. Cover and process with on/off pulses until combined.