Gianduja Mousse Cake
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 15 mins 350°F
- Cool: 2 hrs
Gianduja Mousse Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and side of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap a double layer of foil around the bottom and side of pan to form a watertight seal; set aside. For crust: In a small bowl, stir together crushed vanilla wafers and hazelnuts. Stir in the melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom of the foil-wrapped pan. Set aside.
- Prepare Hazelnut Butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in the nut butter and chocolate-hazelnut spread.
- In a very large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium-high speed until mixture is thick, pale, and holds a slowly dissolved ribbon when beaters are lifted. (This will take about 5 minutes in a heavy-duty mixer and about 9 minutes with a handheld mixer.) Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture; stir gently to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Pour over crust, spreading evenly.
- Place the foil-wrapped springform pan in a roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to reach halfway up side of springform pan. Bake for 1-1/4 hours. Turn off oven; let cake stand in oven with door closed for 45 minutes.
- Remove springform pan from water. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Using a small sharp knife, loosen edge of cake from side of pan. Remove foil. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Remove side of springform pan. If desired, sprinkle cake with cocoa powder and serve with whipped cream. Makes 12 servings.
- Place toasted hazelnuts (filberts) in a food processor. Cover and process until a paste forms. Add cooking oil. Cover and process with on/off pulses until combined.