- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- Cool: 1 hr
Chocolate-Berry Wreath Cake
tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
cups of all-purpose flour
cup of sugar
cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoon of instant espresso coffee powder (optional)
teaspoon of baking soda
teaspoon of salt
eggs, lightly beaten
cup of water
cup of canola oil or vegetable oil
tablespoon of cider vinegar or white vinegar
teaspoon of vanilla
recipe Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting
cups of assorted berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and/or small strawberries
tablespoons of strawberry jelly
recipe White Chocolate Bow(s)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x2-inch round cake pan or a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder. Shake and tilt pan to coat bottom and sides; shake out any excess cocoa powder. Set pan aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, espresso powder (if desired), baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture, beating with an electric mixer on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost top and sides of cake with Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting. Arrange berries around outside edge of cake to resemble a wreath. Heat strawberry jelly until melted; brush evenly over berries. Place one or more White Chocolate Bow(s) on berry wreath.
From the Test Kitchen
Easy Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Cake:
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except stir 3/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained, patted dry, and chopped, and 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces into batter. Continue as directed.
Per serving: 457 cal, 5 pro, 76 carb, 17 total fat, 7 sat fat, 41 chol, 3 fib, 254 sod.
White Chocolate Bow(s)
ounces of chopped white baking chocolate with cocoa butter or vanilla-flavor candy coating (1/2 cup)
- Line a small baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan heat and stir white chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth. If desired, place melted white chocolate in a heavy resealable plastic bag; snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Pipe or spoon white chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet to form 3- to 4-inch bow(s). Let stand until set (if necessary, place in the refrigerator until set). Carefully lift bow(s) off paper.
Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting
tablespoons of butter, softened
cup of milk chocolate pieces, melted and cooled slightly
cups of powdered sugar
tablespoons of milk
teaspoon of vanilla
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in the melted and cooled chocolate. Gradually add half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Berry Wreath Cake)
- 403 kcal cal.;
- 15 g Fat, total;
- 41 mg chol.;
- 6 g sat. fat;
- 68 g carb.;
- 6 g Monosaturated fat;
- 2 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 2 g fiber;
- 50 g sugar;
- 4 g pro.;
- 178 mg Potassium;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 1 mg Niacin;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 30 mg calcium;
- 2 mg iron;
- 253 mg sodium;
- 1 mg vit. C;
- 36 µg Folate;
- 146 IU vit. A;
- 0 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12)
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet