Chocolate Allspice Thumbprints
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and allspice together; keep at hand.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and continue to beat for 2 minutes, or until it is well blended into the butter. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the egg and beat 1 minute more. Beat in the vanilla extract. The mixture may look curdled, but it will come together when you add the dry ingredients.
- With the mixer at lowest speed, steadily add the flour mixture, beating for only a few seconds after it disappears into the soft dough. Give the dough a few stirs with a rubber spatula, just to make sure that all of the dry ingredients are completely blended into the dough.
- Use a rounded teaspoon of dough for each cookie take the spoonful of dough from the bowl and then shape it into a ball between your palms. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon or your knuckle, press a thumbprint into the center of each ball of dough.
- Bake the cookies for 9 to 10 minutes, or until they are dry and feel firm to the touch. If your oven has hot spots, rotate the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back after 4 minutes in the oven. Leave the cookies on the baking sheets while you work on the filling.
- Place white baking pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 45 to 60 seconds; stir until melted and smooth. Use a small spoon to fill each thumbprint with chocolate. Alternatively and more neatly you can fill a small zipper-lock bag with the chocolate, press out the air, seal it and then cut off a tiny triangle of the bag at one of its corners. Squeeze a little chocolate into each cookie. Top with red sprinkles.
- If you'd like, refrigerate the cookies for 15 minutes to set the chocolate. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Allspice Thumbprints)
- Per serving:
- 71 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 133 mg chol.,
- 27 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet