- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless venison leg or shoulder or boneless beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed, or 3 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dark beer or lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red sweet pepper (2 medium)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1-1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from Dutch oven; set aside. Drain off fat.
2. In the same Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, chile pepper, dried oregano (if using), chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender (mixture will be dry). Add beer or broth; bring to boiling. Boil gently about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half, stirring occasionally. Add meat and undrained tomatoes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until meat is tender.
3. Stir in red sweet pepper and black beans. Return to simmering. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
4. Stir in lime juice, cilantro, parsley, and, if using, fresh oregano. Makes 6 servings.
- Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 302,
- Fat, total (g) 8,
- chol. (mg) 96,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 26,
- fiber (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 32,
- sodium (mg) 814,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet