Unusual ingredients, such as smoked paprika, plums, cloves, and bittersweet chocolate, give a standby recipe a conversation-worthy twist.
- Prepare Chili Seasoning Puree. In 6-quart Dutch oven cook beef, onion, and celery until meat is browned, stirring as needed. Drain fat.
- Stir in Chili Puree, paprika, coriander, crushed red pepper, and cloves. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water, beef broth, and tomato paste. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add chocolate and plums. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with Cumin Polenta. Makes 8 servings.
Chili Seasoning Puree
- Place dried chile peppers in a bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain; remove stems and seeds. In food processor or blender combine drained chile pepper, jalapeno pepper, beef broth, and dried plums. Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- In large heavy saucepan combine chicken broth and cumin; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; gradually whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir until thick, about 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk in milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Fireside Chili)
- Per serving:
- 343 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 58 mg chol.,
- 702 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 21 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet