- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown; remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat. Drain off fat.
- Transfer meat to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in spinach and lime juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and/or cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
To use a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker:
Increase the meat to 2 pounds and brown in an extra-large skillet. Use two 15-ounce cans great Northern beans or navy beans, 1-1/4 pounds fresh tomatillos or three 11-ounce cans tomatillos, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, two 14-ounce cans chicken broth, 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. (Do not change the amounts of olive oil, green chile peppers, and salt.) Makes 8 servings. Nutrition Facts per serving for 5- to 6-quart slow cooker: 450 calories, 28 g protein, 29 g carb., 25 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 14% Vitamin A, 28% Vitamin C, 650 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 18% iron
Nutrition Facts (Chili Verde)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 81 mg chol.,
- 583 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet