Chili Verde Con Cerdo
- In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven brown pork, one-third at a time, in hot oil. (Add more oil during cooking, if necessary). Return all meat to the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a 15x10-inch baking pan with foil. Place tomatillos, onion, and peppers n the prepared pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat 7 to 9 minutes or until softened and well charred, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer charred vegetables to a food processor or blender. Add cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pulse until nearly smooth, stopping and scraping down sides as necessary.
- Add tomatillo mixture to meat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and continue to simmer 1 1/2 hours longer or until pork is tender and sauce is thickened. Using a spoon, gently break meat into bite-size pieces.
- Before serving, squeeze juice from lime; stir into chili. Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, and thinly sliced radishes.
From the Test Kitchen
Hot chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
To warm tortillas, wrap in foil and place in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Chili Verde Con Cerdo)
- Per serving:
- 639 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 158 mg chol. ,
- 699 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 56 g pro.
Sarah Brekke 573 Days Ago
Great recipe. Authentic flavor and also works well in the slow cooker