- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked and chopped, or two 11-ounce cans tomatillos, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown; remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat. Drain off fat.
2. Transfer meat to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in drained beans, tomatillos, onion, undrained chile peppers, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
4. Stir in spinach and lime juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and/or cilantro.
5. Nutrition Facts per serving for 5- to 6-quart slow cooker: 338 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 77 mg chol., 680 mg sodium, 29 g carbo., 6 g fiber, 32 g pro.
- increase the meat to 2 pounds and brown in an extra-large skillet. Use two 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans or navy beans, 1 1/4 pounds fresh tomatillos or three 11-ounce cans tomatillos, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, two 14-ounce cans chicken broth, 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. (Do not change the amounts of olive oil, green chile peppers, and salt.) Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 300,
- Fat, total (g) 11,
- chol. (mg) 76,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 29,
- sodium (mg) 606,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet