- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 recipe Mexican Mole, Sesame-Hoisin, or Orange-Sage sauce
- 6 - 8 pounds pork loin back ribs or meaty spareribs; one 3- to 3 -1/2-pounds boneless pork top loin roast; or two 3-1/2- to 4-pounds whole broiler fryer chickens
1. In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, apple juice concentrate, vinegar, garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in one of the flavor variations. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture in a covered container; refrigerate.
2. Place meat or chicken in a self-sealing plastic bag(s) set in a shallow dish; pour in remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain meat; discard marinade.For ribs on a charcoal grill::
3. Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place ribs in rib racks* on grill rack over drip pan. Cover; grill for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until ribs are tender.For ribs on a gas grill::
4. Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above except place ribs in a disposable foil roasting pan.For pork roast on a charcoal grill::
5. Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-low heat above the pan. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat thermometer inserted into roast registers 150 degree F. Remove meat from grill; cover with foil, let stand 15 minutes. During standing temperature will rise about 10 degrees.For pork roast on a gas grill::
6. Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan; place on grill rack and grill until meat thermometer inserted into roast registers 150 degree F. Remove meat from grill; cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes. During standing temperature will rise about 10 degrees.For chickens on a charcoal grill::
7. Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place chickens on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degree F).For chickens on a gas grill::
8. Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place chickens over drip pan. Cover and grill as above.
9. Heat 1/2 cup of reserved sauce and serve with meat or chicken. Makes 8 servings.
- Whisk 1/3 cup purchased mole sauce into marinade.
- Stir 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil into marinade.
- Whisk 1-1/2 teaspoons ground sage and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel into marinade.
- Use a paring knife to cut through 4 to 6 red jalapeno or other small red chile peppers from just below the stems through the tip end, leaving pepper intact. Rotate and cut again two or three more times to form a brush. To create curls, place in a bowl of ice water; cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain. Rinse out seeds.
- Use two grills for the ribs if you dont have a rib rack.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 361,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 101,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 4,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 7,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 47,
- vit. A (IU) 49,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 9,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 16,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 110,
- Potassium (mg) 782,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet