Three-Way Marinade and Sauce
The sauce comes in Asian, Mexican, and orange-sage versions to use on beef, pork or chicken.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 8 hrs to 24 hrs
- Grill: 1 hr 30 mins for ribs and roast; 1-1/4 hours for chicken
Three-Way Marinade and Sauce
- In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, apple juice concentrate, vinegar, garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in one of the flavor variations. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture in a covered container; refrigerate.
- Place meat or chicken in a self-sealing plastic bag(s) set in a shallow dish; pour in remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain meat; discard marinade.
- Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place ribs in rib racks* on grill rack over drip pan. Cover; grill for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above except place ribs in a disposable foil roasting pan.
- Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-low heat above the pan. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat thermometer inserted into roast registers 150 degree F. Remove meat from grill; cover with foil, let stand 15 minutes. During standing temperature will rise about 10 degrees.
- Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan; place on grill rack and grill until meat thermometer inserted into roast registers 150 degree F. Remove meat from grill; cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes. During standing temperature will rise about 10 degrees.
- Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place chickens on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degree F).
- Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place chickens over drip pan. Cover and grill as above.
- Heat 1/2 cup of reserved sauce and serve with meat or chicken. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For Mexican Mole Sauce:
Whisk 1/3 cup purchased mole sauce into marinade.
For Sesame-Hoisin Sauce:
Stir 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil into marinade.
For Orange-Sage Sauce:
Whisk 1-1/2 teaspoons ground sage and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel into marinade.
Use a paring knife to cut through 4 to 6 red jalapeno or other small red chile peppers from just below the stems through the tip end, leaving pepper intact. Rotate and cut again two or three more times to form a brush. To create curls, place in a bowl of ice water; cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain. Rinse out seeds.
Use two grills for the ribs if you dont have a rib rack.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Way Marinade and Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 361 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 101 mg chol.,
- 110 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 47 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet