- For brine, in a large bowl combine buttermilk, salt, sugar, and garlic. In a small bowl combine ginger, curry powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper; set aside 2 teaspoons of the ginger mixture. Stir remaining ginger mixture into buttermilk mixture; stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Place chicken in a resealable large plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk mixture over chicken to coat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken; discard brine. Sprinkle chicken evenly with reserved 2 teaspoons ginger mixture.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above the drip pan. Place chicken pieces, bone sides down, on a greased grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F for breast halves, 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks).
- Serve chicken with Curry-Cucumber Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
- In a medium bowl combine cucumber, mayonnaise or salad dressing, buttermilk, curry powder, and ginger. Cover and chill until serving. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Tandoori-Spiced Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 90 mg chol.,
- 824 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
This is hands down, without a doubt, my favorite chicken recipe. I've been making this since it was published in the grilling magazine special. Friends and family devour it as soon as it's served and it constantly receives rave reviews. I've cut back on the salt a little because I tend to let it brine over night or all day, which, with the full 1/4 cup of salt, it turns out a little too salty. If you follow the recipe to the letter, use the full 1/4 cup and brine up to 4 hours and you'll be fine. I also add a little red food coloring to try and mimic the color of tandoori chicken. It never really does, but I like doing it.