cup coarse kosher salt
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon ground ginger
tablespoon curry powder
teaspoons onion powder
teaspoon cayenne pepper
pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
- For brine, in a large bowl combine buttermilk, salt, sugar, and garlic. In a small bowl combine ginger, curry powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper; set aside 2 teaspoons of the ginger mixture. Stir remaining ginger mixture into buttermilk mixture; stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Place chicken in a resealable large plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk mixture over chicken to coat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken; discard brine. Sprinkle chicken evenly with reserved 2 teaspoons ginger mixture.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above the drip pan. Place chicken pieces, bone sides down, on a greased grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F for breast halves, 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks).
- Serve chicken with Curry-Cucumber Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
teaspoon curry powder
teaspoon ground ginger
- In a medium bowl combine cucumber, mayonnaise or salad dressing, buttermilk, curry powder, and ginger. Cover and chill until serving. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Tandoori-Spiced Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 90 mg chol.,
- 824 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet