Szechwan Chicken Salad
teaspoons cooking oil
teaspoon toasted sesame oil
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons grated fresh ginger
cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (12 ounces total)
fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
medium carrot, cut into matchstick strips
cup peeled jicama, cut in matchstick strips
medium cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
cups enoki mushrooms
green onions, sliced
tablespoons chopped unsalted cocktail peanuts
- In a small saucepan heat cooking oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Cook and stir garlic and ginger in hot oil for 15 seconds. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, and 3 tablespoons water. Cool completely.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour half of the soy mixture over the chicken; reserve remaining soy mixture. Close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a small bowl stir together reserved soy mixture, 2 tablespoons water, the jalapeno pepper, and sugar. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Grill chicken on the lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning once. Cut chicken into bite-size strips. Combine the carrot and jicama. To serve, line 4 salad plates with the lettuce. Top with carrot mixture, cucumbers, chicken, mushrooms, green onions, and peanuts. Stir dressing; drizzle 1 tablespoon dressing over each serving. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Szechwan Chicken Salad)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 45 mg chol.,
- 231 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet