Southern Cobb Salad
A creamy cheese dressing pulls together crisp fried chicken, black-eyed peas, sweet peppers, and pecans for a satisfying salad.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 6 mins
Southern Cobb Salad
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
tablespoons vegetable oil
tablespoon cider vinegar
teaspoon snipped fresh oregano (optional)
15.8 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
large head butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce, torn (8 cups)
red sweet pepper, cut in strips
cup pecan halves, toasted
- Prepare Pimento Cheese Dressing; set aside. Halve eggs lengthwise and scoop out yolks. In a bowl mash yolks with a fork. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons Pimiento Cheese Dressing until smooth. Spoon yolk mixture into egg halves; set aside.
- Place chicken in heavy-duty plastic bag (do not seal). Pound chicken lightly with meat mallet to even thickness of 1/2 inch. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In shallow dish, beat together egg,milk, and hot pepper sauce. In another shallow dish, place flour. Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in flour. In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes, turning once, or until golden and chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Drain. Cool chicken slightly; cut in strips.
- In bowl combine remaining oil, vinegar, and oregano. Add peas; toss to coat.
- To serve, place lettuce on platter. Arrange chicken, peas, red pepper, pecans, and deviled eggs. Pass remaining Pimiento Cheese Dressing.
Pimento Cheese Dressing
cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
2 ounce jar diced pimientos, drained
teaspoon cayenne pepper
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Let cheddar cheese stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In bowl beat cheese and mayonnaise with an electric mixer on medium to combine. Add milk, diced pimientos, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Beat to mix.
From the Test Kitchen
For a lighter recipe, substitute reduced-fat versions of the cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and milk.
Nutrition Facts (Southern Cobb Salad)
- Per serving:
- 536 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 15 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 197 mg chol.,
- 668 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet